Kick-Start Your User Experience Career
Becoming a truematter User Experience Intern
We make user-friendly digital products (sites, apps, and software) that are loved by the people who interact with them. This is a ground-floor opportunity to delve into the world of UX, including research, information architecture, documentation, testing, and more. You’ll learn more than you can handle (more than you’re learning in school) and build basic skills that will serve you your entire career—and you’ll be mentored by some of the smartest folks around.
Warning — We do sites and apps RIGHT.
We march to the beat of actual users. Everything we do is based in researching, interacting with, observing, and meeting the needs of actual people. If you’d rather not do these things, this isn’t the internship for you. You’ve got a ton to learn, and the work will sometimes be tedious.
Learn User Experience
Immerse yourself in creating digital experiences. Learn the principles of UX and apply them to your work.
Work Closely with Team Members
Contribute to defining, strategizing, and documenting UX solutions. Really.
Participate in client discovery and user testing sessions.
Take Notes & Author Documentation
It’s not glamorous, but you’ll learn what makes real-world digital products tick.
Required Skills & Qualities
We’re looking for college students pursuing degrees in:
- Human Computer Interaction (HCI)
- Information Science / Library Science
- Journalism / Communications / English
- Interactive Design / Visual Communication / Graphic Design
- Computer Science or Engineering
- Required - Mac or PC Operating Systems
- Required - Microsoft Office (e.g. Word) or Equivalent
- Strongly Desired - Adobe Creative Suite (e.g. InDesign, XD)
- Strongly Desired – Wireframing and/or Prototyping Tools (E.g., Sketch, Axure, InVision, etc.)
Comfortable Learning Code
Not scared of web development and learning more about it. If you’re not already knowledgeable about development, show us a willingness to learn at least basic HTML.
Learning & Curiosity
Relentless desire to learn and immerse yourself in all things UX. Willing to quickly learn new tools and approaches.
The ability to make things happen with extraordinarily limited direction. Excellent proactive attitude, take-charge personality, and “can-do” demeanor.
Ability to multi-task and meet tight deadlines.
Applicants will be evaluated based on experience, online samples, interview, and references.
Hours & Trial Period
- 10-20 hours per week, on-site (paid).
- 4-week trial period to verify skills and fit.
Working at truematter
- Competitive Compensation
- Excellent Opportunities
- Build enviable expertise.
- Get encouraged and pushed by brilliant, creative colleagues.
- Work on challenging projects.
- Thrive in a bohemian environment.